Freud used the analogy of an iceberg to describe the two major facets of the human psyche. (The conscious mind (Logical thinking) and the subconscious mind (Beliefs, habits, emotions and long term memory))
The tip of the iceberg above the water representing the conscious mind and beneath the water is the larger bulk of the iceberg representing the subconscious mind. Freud believed that we only use a small amount of our conscious mind daily and the rest of it is governed by our subconscious mind, the hidden part or unconscious level. This has the greatest influence over our personalities and behaviours.
What does the above have to do with weight loss?
When the unconscious is made conscious then we can let go of old patterns, beliefs and habits that keep us stuck for example yo-yo dieting, obesity and disordered eating. If you learn a habit, you can unlearn it, but only if you become AWARE of the beliefs driving the habit, and then let them go.
Our beliefs about ourselves, our body, the experiences we have in life sit in our sub-conscious so it would be helpful for us to understand how the subconscious mind works so we can change it for the better for ourselves. If we change our minds we change our biology and our outlook on life.
How does the subconscious mind work?
Cognitive neuroscientists have conducted studies that have revealed that only 5 percent of our cognitive activities is conscious whereas the remaining 95 percent is generated in a nonconscious level. Cognitive Neuroscience have also said the subconscious mind starts to become programmed as the foetus is developing in the womb and from then up until age six approximately.
Therefore our self Identity, beliefs, habits, learned behaviours (conditioned responses), past experiences, memories, all sit at this level of the mind. Our subconscious mind plays an important role in affecting our behaviour, shaping our personality and our entire life.
For example, one of the reasons you may not be losing weight might be an unconscious belief that you are not good enough or don’t deserve to – or you may have food scripts you learned in childhood deep in your subconscious and this is now driving you to overeat. An example of this would be that as a child you were told at dinner to “Eat all your dinner as there are starving people in the world”.
While you won’t be aware of these beliefs they still may be affecting your weight and self-confidence. In this article I will tell you how to make the subconscious mind work for you in order to help you to start achieving your weight loss goals.
The down side of the subconscious mind it that its job is to create a life for you that reflect your programming in your subconscious mind. So if you feel you are unworthy that’s what you are creating. Remember as mentioned above 95 percent of the time your subconscious mind is shaping your life.
It’s like playing a DVD over and over again. You are not consciously aware you are playing it, but it’s there.
So when your life isn’t planning out the way you want it, it is because your physical reality is a reflection of your programming in your subconscious mind.
To sum up, we need to become conscious of what is driving our behaviour. If not we will repeat the same patterns over and over again.
Tips on how you can get the subconscious mind to work for you and help with your weight loss goals.
We can change our programming with AWARENESS. It is important to learn to be present; as you become more present you can become more conscious of the DVD playing in the background. You can change old negative beliefs to new positive beliefs and the more present you are the less the DVD will be playing…
Autosuggestions: This is a form of self-induced suggestion in which you can guide your own thoughts, feelings, or behaviour. It would need to be specific and definite e.g. I am happy. I am calm. I enjoy eating healthy food.
To change your subconscious you need to make statements a six year old can understand as it’s up to that age when the programming takes place. Your new statements need to be in the present tense.
Visualisations are a very powerful tool to change the subconscious mind. See yourself, as how you want to be, feel it and really believe it.
Search for what is weighing you down in your subconscious and learn to make peace with yourself. With greater self-awareness comes greater self-care.